Friday 22 July 2011

Therapy And Me

Just had a bizarre conversation with a therapist, she was blonde, about 30 and a size 10 - but I wont be going back.

Talk about weird ideas she told me part of my brain is `frozen in time`. Let me explain.
She said that when a person has a traumatic and life-changing experience part of their memory goes into "lock down".

According to this so-called expert the reason I cant bring myself to `hate` my ex-wife is because part of my mind will always think of her as the julie I knew and loved pre-June 2005.

She claimed `life-changing events` can stop a person moving on. I didnt like to say anything rude because she was so good-looking but I was thinking "what a load of bollocks".

Example:
If this was a genuine medical condition then how come part of my brain/memory isnt stuck in my unhappy childhood? The period that genuinely ruined my life.

I was 12 when my dad walked out on me and 13 when I went into care - so how come I didnt `freeze` then?.

Those were life-changing situations but they didnt affect me and my brain didnt go into lockdown.

I dont still think or act like a teenage tearaway. I aint got the same beliefs, dont listen to the same music or wear the same clothes from that period of my life?

I aint saying this therapist is a 100% charlatan as some of the things I can relate to.

Example:

At times I do still think of Sam and Adam as being 12 and 10 as they were in 2005. And I do `fuss` and wait on them hand and foot.
They take the `mick` out of me because I`m always asking "you OK?" and "do you want anything".

Both say "Dad were not kids anymore" and they `send me up` because I still cut there chicken into pieces or wait up for them till 3am.

So maybe she has got a slight point - but not convinced - because I`m sure I`d still be the same doting dad/worrier even if June 2005 had never happened.

And both boys like me spoiling them when it suits.
Adam still likes me to run his bath and make him fruit salads while at weekends Sam loves a bacon sarnie and a paper in bed.

But the truth is its "no more therapy for me" - the woman looked a lot like the sexy blonde from the sit-com Not Going Out - so she was hot - and she knew it - I could tell by the way she kept flicking her hair - but even that aint enough for me to want `seconds`...

No comments:

Post a Comment