Sunday 8 May 2016

Candid X-Rated Interview

10am tomorrow ...

LISTEN ONLINE:

 http://www.secklowsounds.org/news/garry-johnson-in-the-sticks



I HAVE JUST BEEN SENT THE TRANSCRIPT OF MY MOST REVEALING INTERVIEW SO FAR ...and `Jesus` ...

I know I pride myself on always being 100 per cent honest and telling "the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth" ... but this was like being grilled by a shrink.

What starts off as a `showbiz` chat becomes a combination of police interview and a confession box conversation with Terry Sullivan as the Priest.

God ... am I opened up or what?

The interviewer knew what buttons to press and got me to bare my soul.

I had no advance knowledge of the questions so what you hear is the raw truth.

My personality dictates that I always tell the truth regardless of whether or not the answer makes me look `good or bad`,

Thirty minutes into the conversation I`m asked "Do you still love your wife"?

I am momentarily flustered ... you will hear my nervous laugh ... followed by a long "eh, eh ,eh"

The previous 25 minutes had dealt with my past as a teenage tearaway, borstal boy, punk rocker, managing The Stone Roses, Adult movies, Fleet Street, sex and drugs and rock `n` roll ... my book and album Punk Rock Stories And Tabloid Tales.

I was not expecting or prepared for a question about Julie.

The `Jack the lad` in me wanted to put on a brave face and say something like "You having a laugh" or "you taking the piss or what?".

But I`m a punk poet not a politician so I`m not programmed to lie. It is not in my DNA.

So I blurted out "eh..well..,eh sort of yes".

Adding:

"You are right ... you have hit the nail on the head ... of course I still have feelings for her. She`s the mother of my children and life is too short to bare a grudge."

The next 5/10 minutes was a sort of blur and too painful for me to lift from the transcript. The truth is when I tune in tomorrow I must make sure beforehand that I take my heart tablets.

This will give you a taste of the second part of the 45-minute interview.

Terry Sullivan:

"I`ve seen pictures of Julie on the internet and in the book and you are right when you describe her as looking like Patsy Kensit or Susan George"

Me confirming why I am a Punk Poet, old romantic and `Mister Nice Guy` reply:

"Well the truth is Terry she was the love of my life ... I don`t mind admitting that ...and to be honest Julie is still a bit of a stunner ... like a fine wine she gets better with age"

Adding:

"And to prove I`m not the sort of bloke who holds a grudge there`s a song about Julie on the album called "The One That Got Away".

THIS IS THEN PLAYED ON THE SHOW.


I just about handled the questions about Julie but when my daughter Lucy was mentioned I `choked up` and almost lost control of my emotions.

But as the saying goes "The roar of the greasepaint and the smell of the crowd" so as Dr Showbiz kicked in I composed myself and carried on.

The truth is because I wasn`t expecting that sort of interview it allowed me to open up, bare my soul and talk from the heart.

A lot of the poems/lyrics in my new book THE COCKNEY BARD - From Bow Bells To Bitterstreet were inspired by the feelings and thoughts expressed during this interview from 3 months ago,

But it`s not all `heavy`.

There are plenty of laughs and funny stories.

All included in `Punk Rock Stories And Tabloid Tales`.

The follow-up `Adult Movies And Tabloid Tales` will be released in October.










No comments:

Post a Comment